Wednesday, July 20, 2016

CBS 3.4

I'm surprised by how refreshing week 4 was for me. In the beginning of the week I was kind of thrown off because I didn't know a ton of campers like I did the previous weeks. I am just blown away by the Lords work this week. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I had such a mature group of campers. On Thursdays we split our class up into gender groups so we can go deeper in our discussions. The girls opened up on such a deep level and I'm so grateful for their honesty. Week 4 reminded me that even though it seems like these families have it all together, they still come to camp with brokenness. They are desperate to be refreshed.  I'm thankful for the vulnerability of the girls in my class week 4.

This past week has been pretty fun! We finished the week with a kids campfire, more classes, banquet, and saying farewell to our week 4 campers. This weekend the majority of the program staff planned a 2 mile kayak trip to Whites Beach. I decided to stay back and make cinnamon scones with Virginia. You may be wondering why I gave up an adventure just to work in the kitchen but those of you who know Virginia probably know why I said yes. Every moment I have with her is amazing.  She is truly one of my best friends here on the island. It has always been a dream of mine to spend a day in the kitchen cooking with Mama V, and I'm so glad I took that opportunity.

Later that afternoon, the women on staff had a tea party where we enjoyed the scones made by Mama V and her sous chef (yours truly). During our tea party the men on staff gathered in the dining hall and ate Tri-tip with their bare hands without wearing any shirts. They like to call this their "meating". You may think I'm joking but I say this with seriousness. They enjoy doing manly things while the women sip tea and eat scones. We finished the night with an (almost) full moon hike, a staff movie, and Paul's cookies. 

The best part about Week 5 so far is my family being here!!! Hooray! Sydney and I have anxiously awaited their arrival. Not only are my parents here but my aunt Sylvia, the Langs, and the Ellison's are here as well. I'm so refreshed by having so many familiar faces here with me. I'm especially grateful for the way my friends love my parents. I love seeing my parents interact with my all of my homies here. I'm so grateful that the Lord has given us this week to be together. WE MISS YOU ALEX AND ERIC!!!

Everyday when I have a moment to myself, whether its when I'm laying in my eno on the beach, sitting on the veranda, walking down the fairway, or laying in my bed underneath the stars, I take a moment to realize where I am. It's as if God has created this place just for me. I belong here. This is a place where people respect me and know what makes my heart beat. It's a place where I feel encouraged and loved. But above all, it's a place where the Lord has called me. I'm here on purpose.

 We have a week and a half left and I'm thrilled to see how God is going to move. I can go on and on about each person on staff and I refuse to come to terms that we only have a little over a week and a half left. 


Holy is the Lord revealed before my eyes, and my burning heart can scarcely take it in. As I behold your beauty with unworthy eyes, the only song my soul can find to sing is 'Hallelujah'

-Shel

Shelby Dreves 
Campus by the Sea
PO box 466
Avalon, CA 90704

No comments:

Post a Comment