Wednesday, July 6, 2016

CBS 3.2

It's hard to believe that we have already hit our half way mark for the summer. Last Wednesday evening I was able to start dancing again since I sprained my ankle! Swing dancing for the first time in a year brought me so much joy! We ended the week with a crazy, yet fun kids banquet. Each banquet gets crazy but I am thankful that our amazing staff always rises to the occasion. This past week has been an amazing one. As we said goodbye to our amazing week 2 campers, we welcomed an exciting weekend!!

On Saturday, July 2nd, once the campers left, our staff celebrated the 4th of July two days early with a picnic and field games. We were treated to corn on the cob, ribs, bbq chicken, potato salad, and cake! We had an Egg and spoon race, a water balloon toss, a 3 legged race, "king of the court" knockout style, and minute to win it games. We had four teams with about 12 VERY competitive people on each team which made these simple games seem just as important as the upcoming Olympics. Many people became so passionate about this simple picnic, but it made it so fun! We ended the night with a campfire, s'mores, and worship. We sang with full hearts and raspy voices from screaming our team chants earlier in the day, but not one yelp was wasted. Worshipping together was the perfect way to end such a fun day. 

On the actual Fourth of July, we had a normal morning and afternoon with our week 3 campers. The kitchen was sweet enough to rearrange the food schedule and have burgers on the beach to celebrate Independence Day. The elementary team led the kids in some fun night games and ended the day laying underneath the stars at the cross watching countless firework shows 26 miles away on the mainland. Praise the Lord the sky was clear! These people rock my world and I'm so thankful for the special memories that were made that night. 
This morning 38 staff members did the shore hike into Avalon. This short and dangerous hike is a fun tradition that is only for the staff! We helped each other over cliffs and jumped through the rocks. We left at 6AM and a few laughs and bloody knees later, we made it to town around 7:45. We are thankful that everyone made it safely and we are happy to be in town for our day off!

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for my ankle; I am feeling much better! I hiked the shore into town today with the rest of the staff, so I'm nearing my full recovery. 

If you are wondering how you can continue to pray for our staff, my biggest prayer is that we don't get comfortable where we are. My heart for the staff is to continue to jump out of our comfort zones when serving our campers. I want us to continue to go out of our way to invest in each person's life as well as keep pulling ourselves away to listen to God's voice. I want us to pursue friendships with people we have yet to seek out. I especially pray that each person won't take a single moment for granted.

Christ Alone, Cornerstone.
Weak made strong in the Savior's love.
Through the storm he is Lord, Lord of all! 

-Shel

Shelby Dreves 
Campus by the Sea
PO box 466
Avalon, CA 90704






No comments:

Post a Comment